Jackson Soil and Water Conservation District
2741 Penn Avenue
Suite 3
Marianna, FL 32448

PH:   (850) 372-4793
FAX:   (850) 482-7952

The 1930's Dust Bowl disaster spurred the U.S. Congress to declare soil and water conservation a national policy and priority in 1935. To elicit the active support of land owners on a local level, soil and water conservation districts serving conservation needs at a county level were created to work in partnership with the federal government. Today there are approximately 3000 conservation districts nationwide involved in efforts as varied as their conservation needs and the local citizenry that they serve.

The governing body of a soil and water conservation district consists of five elected supervisors. The office of a soil and water conservation district supervisor is nonpartisan and district wide. Candidates are elected in a general election to a 4-year term. Vacancies are filled by appointment by the remaining supervisors until the next general election. Supervisors receive no monetary compensation for their services.

The Jackson Soil and Water Conservation District was established effective July 20, 1987 as an independent special district in accordance with the provisions of the Soil and Water Conservation Law, Chapter 582, Florida Statutes, originally enacted by the Florida Legislature in 1937. This action was taken by the Florida Department of Agriculture, in concert with the Florida Department of State. The District received it's charter in 1988. The Jackson Soil & Water Conservation District operates as a governmental subdivision of the State as evidenced by its certificate of due organization on file with the United States Department of Agriculture.

The Jackson Soil & Water Conservation District was organized for the purpose of providing procedures for assisting landowners with agricultural issues related to the conservation of natural resources. As a subdivision of State Government, we have the ability to seek, utilize and coordinate financial and technical assistance from all available sources, be they local, state or federal, so that all people will have a better environment in which to live. It is our goal to identify present and future needs for the conservation protection and development of natural resources within Jackson County. We are prepared to exercise, within our boundaries, public powers as authorized by law, as amended and supplemented.

It is our hope that Jackson County becomes a strong "Conservation Community", a group of informed citizens and agencies who work together to protect our natural resource base by providing education and information about critical local natural resource issues. It is a pleasure and an honor to serve you and to help raise conservation awareness within Jackson County, Florida.

For information regarding any of our services and/or funding opportunities, please contact Alisha Dunaway @ (850) 482-1240 ext 13.

District: Jackson Soil & Water Conservation – Monthly Board Meeting Agenda
June 1, 2023
2741 Penn Ave. – Clover Room
8:00 A.M.
Call to Order
Prayer & Pledge
Welcome guests and public attendees
Approval of agenda
Approval of May 4, 2023 board meeting minutes

NRCS Report Brendaly Rodriguez-Munoz
BMP Report Garrett Williams
FDACS/OAWP Report Chris Denmark
NWFWMD John Alter
UF/IFAS Report Doug Mayo
Any guests that have joined us: Report/Request
MIL Report Rex Patterson
Business Analyst & Financial Report Alisha Dunaway
District Coordinator Report Peggy Gilley
Supervisor reports:
Chair Mack Glass
Vice Chair Steve Basford
Treasurer Tom Stadsklev
Board Member Jeff Pittman
Board Member David DeFelix

 Old Business: By-laws

DOE letters regarding SOE Oath and fee
Follow up on Contract Flow Sheets
New Business: SECDEA Conference 11/7-9. Save the date, should include
good training opportunities.
5% funds
JC BOCC District Funds
Announcements: Next meeting is July 6, 2023, at 8:00 a.m.
UF/IFAS 2741 Penn Ave. Marianna - Clover Room
Contact: Peggy Gilley 850-372-4793 (office)

Mack Glass-Group 2 and Chairman Steve Basford-Group 4 and Vice Chair Tom Stadsklev-Group 3 and Treasurer
Jeff Pittman-Group 5 Dave DeFelix- Group 1

Anyone wishing to have a "LINK" or contact information placed on our website, please contact Peggy Gilley at (850) 372-4793.

***Jackson County Board of County Commissioners (Jackson County, Florida) - Jackson County BOCC

***Florida Conservation District Employees Association - FCDEA

***Association of Florida Conservation Districts - AFCD

***National Association of Conservation Districts - NACD

***Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services/Office of Agricultural Water Policy - FDACS / OAWP

***United States Department of Agriculture / Natural Resources Conservation Service - USDA / NRCS

Florida website

***Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences / University of Florida Extension - IFAS / UofF
Jackson County, Florida IFAS Extension Office

***Northwest Florida Water Management District - NWFWMD

The Water Management District's cost-share program is focused on the Jackson Blue Spring BMAP area but is fairly robust within that area. All information (map, brochure, application, etc.) is available at:

Or you may contact:
Northwest Florida Water Management District
Angela Chelette
(850) 539-2650/ FAX (850) 539-2777

​Revenue and Financial Information

The Jackson Soil & Water Conservation District does not collect or impose taxes, fees, or any charges for services rendered. We are a Non Profit Organization.  

FISCAL YEAR:  October 1 to September 30
Tentative Budget FY 2021 / 2022 (Final Adopted Budget Requested)

Click  http://www.jacksoncountyfl.net/images/stories/Docs/budget/tentative%20FY16-17%20Budget.pdf  to view the JSWCD's working budget for the current fiscal year. Scroll through the Jackson County BOCC Budget. 

To view the special district's Annual Financial Report (required by Section 218.32 (1) (g), Florida Statutes):

To view the Special District's Audit Report for the most "recent" fiscal year, please visit:

The next general meeting of the Jackson Soil & Water Conservation District:




June 01, 2023

8:00 a.m.

University of Florida IFAS Jackson Co.      Extension Office
2741 Penn Ave
Marianna, FL. 
Clover Room

If you plan to attend our meeting and/or have an item(s) that you would like placed on the Agenda, please contact:

Peggy Gilley
District Coordinator
(850) 372-4793

   Board Meetings have been scheduled monthly
every first Thursday
at UF/IFAS Extension-Clover Room
8:00 a.m. CST.  

 Jackson Soil & Water Conservation District Board Meeting Minutes

May 04, 2023

8:00 a.m.

UF/IFAS-Clover Room

Board members present: Mack Glass, Steve Basford, Tom Stadsklev, Jeff Pittman, = Quorum

Absent: Dave DeFelix

Administrative staff: Alisha Dunaway, Peggy Gilley. Others present: Rex Patterson, JSWCD-MIL, Kevin Warren, JSWCD-MIL, Garrett Williams, JSWCD BMP Tech, Peter Scott, Environmental Consultant-OAWP, Doug Mayo, UF/IFAS Ag Director of JC.

Supervisor Glass called the meeting to order at 8:01 a.m.

Supervisor Glass welcomed attendees and guests. AnchorAnchor

NRCS Report: Brendaly Rodriguez-Munoz is on vacation, Peggy Gilley read the NRCS report that BRM emailed to her. “We are currently working on applications that will be eligible for the Inflation Reduction Act/ Climate Smart Practices. Brendaly attended the Proclamation Honoring Sonny Davis. The Soil Con position for the field office will be re-advertised. The NWTF forester position will be re-advertised and housed at the Area Office. All the EQIP applications have been ranked and selection for funding will start at the end of May. As always thank you for your support and feel free to reach out to Brendaly if there are any questions.”

BMP Report: Garrett Williams reports they have not been doing IVs, focused on Cost Share, the amendment has been through and signed by all parties so he and Peter can work with producers to get quotes in & projects done by the end of June. Chris Denmark was in the hospital for a couple of days, he should be back to work. There was talk among the group about getting contracts completed before the deadline. Mack said he will call Chris Denmark and Angela about the timing. We have producers ready to go for hay carts, but the company cannot get them here before the deadline, so will Garrett & Peter be able to use the funds that were approved for other producers? Mack will find out. Mack stressed to the BMP Techs to be very careful about how we obligate and not contract more than the amendment allows.

UF/IFAS Report: Doug Mayo reported we had a bittersweet week, after 25 years of service, Sharon McRoy has retired. They have applicants for her position in process and the ad for a horticulture agent has been readvertised, which closes Friday. The team is doing individual farm visits and things are going well. April events were successful, there is a Beef/Cattle Short Course next week in Gainesville.

MIL Report: Rex Patterson reported that they completed their April numbers, and May has started well. On the 15th & 16th they will be at their ICC meeting this month.

Financial Analyst Report: Alisha Dunaway went over the revised financial report format. If the board is happy with this, she will use it as her monthly template. The board confirmed this financial report template covers everything they need to know at a board meeting. There was a discussion about whether the audit fee is reimbursable. The board thought the audit fees had been reimbursed before but now Alisha is being told they are not. Peggy & Alisha will look back at the last audit Lola did and see if it was invoiced and reimbursed.

District Coordinator Report: Peggy Gilley reported that we have checks that need board signatures after the meeting. In April Jackson Soil & Water had a table set up at the Well & Water workshop and Peggy attended the South East Conservation Districts Employee Assoc mid-year meeting. They planned the annual meeting to be held in November in Pigeon Forge, they will have speakers and training and the networking Peggy thought would be at the April meeting.  All of the correspondence regarding the group/seat changes were emailed and snail mailed to the prospective places. The SOE website still has Greg and Sonny as JSWCD elected officials. I emailed Carol, she said when her office gets the final ok regarding our recent board changes, they will update the website. Peggy will keep an eye on that. In your packets, you have copies of pictures taken at the JC BOCC meeting honoring Mr. Sonny. Tomorrow is the AFCD Area 1 meeting in Quincy, Mack, Steve, Alisha, and I will be attending. Peggy has agendas printed and will bring them to the meeting. Peggy asked for board permission to assist at the 4-H summer camp classes as her schedule allows, the board said yes, if all the district work is being taken care of. JC has offered the summer schedule to us again this year. I have put in to take Mondays off like last year and work T-Fr 7 am to 5:30 pm. Peggy also reported that Mrs. Barbara Stone has passed, she worked at one of the cotton gins, and that Sonny knew her. Lastly, yesterday we got the OPPAGA email, and the audit survey is ready to begin. Peggy will get going on that asap.

Supervisor Glass-             No report but is proud of the progress we’ve made the past couple of months.

Supervisor Basford-        No report

Supervisor Stadsklev-     Reported he has been in and worked on the budget with Peggy and Alisha.

Supervisor Pittman-        No report

Old Business: Budget: Mack let the board know that the contracts state that we must have a budget in place every year. The budget in the packet is to make us compliant for the audit being done now for 2021/2022.

There was a motion made by Supervisor Pittman to adopt the budget for 21/22. Seconded by Supervisor Basford. Carried unanimously.

New Business: Peggy let the board know that she copied the by-laws for the AFCD and FCDEA for them to look over and make notes of what they would like in our By-laws because we cannot find a copy of any. Peggy has emailed the state about getting copies of what was used to begin our special district. Peggy will type up a set of by-laws based on the information in these and bring it to the next meeting.

The next board meeting will be on June 1st, at 8 am, here in the Clover room.

A motion to adjourn was made by Supervisor Pittman and seconded by Supervisor Basford.

Carried unanimously. Adjourned at 8:47 a.m.